TOWSON, MD—The Board of Education of Baltimore County approved a $2.595 billion operating budget recommendation for Fiscal Year 2024 on February 28, 2023.
The Board’s adopted budget continues BCPS’ focus on raising the bar, closing achievement and opportunity gaps, and preparing all students for the future. The budget reflects key amendments based on Board and community feedback and prioritizes people, progress, and salary increases to support recruitment and retention of highly qualified staff. Within a specified funding amount, negotiations are ongoing to:
- Increase compensation for all members of Team BCPS.
- Provide all eligible employees with a step salary increase and cost of living adjustment or equivalent.
- Implement minimum of $15 per hour for employees represented by American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
- Increase annual starting salary for teachers to $59,000.
- Implement initial phase of modified enhanced and compressed scales for employees represented by the Teachers Association of Baltimore County (TABCO) and Education Support Professionals of Baltimore County (ESPBC).
The investments outlined in the adopted operating budget request are aligned with the BCPS strategic plan, The Compass—Our Pathway to Excellence. The investments reflect the ongoing work of the school system to ensure students are learning at high levels and are receiving critical wraparound supports and services.
The Board’s budget request will be submitted to the Baltimore County Executive and the County Council. The County Executive is expected to release his FY 2024 Operating Budget recommendation by April 13. The County Council will pass a final budget in May. The Board will vote again in June for final adoption of the budget.