TOWSON, MD—Baltimore County Public Schools officials on Friday announced new COVID-19 isolation and quarantine guidelines.
Effective Tuesday, January 18, 2022, BCPS will follow the new procedures below, which they say are in alignment with updated state and county guidance.
Student/Staff has a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19:
- Students and staff must stay home for at least five full days from the first date of their symptoms or the date of the positive test if they have no symptoms. Day 1 is the first full day after symptoms begin or the first full day after the date of the test if no symptoms.
- Students and staff may return to school or work on day 6, if
- they have no symptoms, or
- Respiratory symptoms, including cough, have improved and fever has been gone for at least 24 hours without medication.
- Students with a disability who have an exemption to the mask requirement must remain at home for a full 10 days. For all other individuals, masks may only be removed when eating or napping.
Quarantine required if:
- The student/staff member is unvaccinated or only received one dose of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.
- The student/staff member is 18 years or older, and
- Received the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine more than five months ago and is not boosted, or
- Received the Johnson and Johnson vaccine more than two months ago and is not boosted.
These students and staff should quarantine as follows:
- Stay home for at least five days after the last close contact with the person with COVID-19. Day 1 is the first full day after the date of last close contact.
- If the student or staff member have symptoms they should be tested immediately.
- If the student or staff member have no symptoms, they are strongly encouraged to be tested no sooner than five days after the last close contact.
- If the test is negative, they may return to school wearing their masks at all times unless eating or napping.
- If the test is positive, they should follow the above directions for isolation.
- If a student or staff member is unable to test, they must remain home for at least 5 days and upon their return, they must wear their mask at all times, unless eating or napping.
Quarantine NOT Required:
Students/staff not experiencing COVID symptoms do NOT need to quarantine after exposure if:
- They are 18 years and older and have been boosted, OR
- received their second dose of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine within the last five months, OR
- received their Johnson and Johnson vaccine within the last two months.
- They are 5-17 years old and have received the Pfizer vaccine series as recommended AND have no symptoms.
- If they had a prior COVID-19 infection (using a viral test) within the last 90 days AND have no symptoms.
These individuals are:
- Required to wear a mask around others at all times for ten days after the last contact with the person with COVID-19. Day 1 is the first full day after the date of last close contact.
- Masks may only be removed when the individual is eating or napping.
- Strongly encouraged to get tested no sooner than five days after the last close contact (or as soon as they develop symptoms).
- If the test is positive, please follow the above directions for isolation.
- Required to get COVID tested if they develop symptoms.
These new guidelines are aligned with the updated Isolation and Quarantine Guidance from the Maryland Department of Health, recently announced changes in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations, and advice from the Baltimore County Chief Health Officer.
Any questions or concerns may be directed to the BCPS Office of Health Services at 443-809-6368.