As the summer winds down, Baltimore County is offering helpful tips to residents to help prevent the spread of the Zika Virus.
The Zika virus is a mosquito-transmitted infection. Although it was discovered in the Zika forest in Uganda in 1947 and is common in Africa and Asia, it did not begin spreading widely in the Western Hemisphere until last May, when an outbreak occurred in Brazil.
Here are some helpful tips to prevent the virus’ spread.
- Wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts and hats, when concerned about mosquitoes
- Repair damaged window and door screens so mosquitoes do not come indoors
- Always empty containers that hold water and remove trash to avoid creating mosquito breeding sites
- Protect yourself and use an EPA-registered insect repellent according to package instructions
- Use condoms or abstain from sexual activity if you are pregnant and your male partner has been in an area with Zika
For more prevention tips, head to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.