Maryland pursuing actions to control invasive catfish after federal fisheries disaster declined

BALTIMORE, MD—Last month, the U.S. Department of Commerce notified Maryland Governor Wes Moore that it had declined Maryland’s request for a federal commercial fisheries disaster declaration that was sought to help address the economic and ecological damage caused by the spread of invasive catfish and snakeheads in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Maryland made the unique request in March as a […]

NOAA predicts a near-normal 2023 Atlantic hurricane season

BALTIMORE, MD—NOAA forecasters with the Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service, predict near-normal hurricane activity in the Atlantic this year. NOAA’s outlook for the 2023 Atlantic hurricane season, which goes from June 1 to November 30, predicts a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of […]

Governor Moore requests federal fishery disaster declaration for invasive blue catfish

ANNAPOLIS,​​ MD—Governor Wes Moore on Thursday called on the federal government to declare the expanding population of invasive fish species—including blue catfish, flathead catfish, and snakehead—to be an ongoing commercial fishery disaster in the Maryland waters of the Chesapeake Bay. The governor sent a letter to U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo requesting the declaration under provisions of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery […]

Governor Hogan, federal officials announce $22.9 million grant to expand Maryland’s offshore wind workforce

ANNAPOLIS, MD—Governor Larry Hogan this week joined federal officials at Tradepoint Atlantic to announce the awarding of a $22.9 million American Rescue Plan Good Jobs Challenge grant for the Maryland Department of Labor to implement a new apprenticeship model to support the region’s growing offshore wind industry. Maryland’s project is one of 32 chosen nationwide out of more than 500 […]

Governor Hogan welcomes SelectUSA Investment Summit to Maryland, touts state as world-class destination for foreign investment

ANNAPOLIS, MD—This week, Governor Larry Hogan spoke at the SelectUSA Investment Summit in National Harbor, the top event in the United States dedicated to promoting direct foreign investment. The governor addressed attendees at an event hosted by the state to promote Maryland as a world-class destination for foreign investment. “It’s an honor to welcome you to the great state of […]