ANNAPOLIS, MD—Governor Larry Hogan on Tuesday signed into law HB 940, major legislation to legalize sports betting in the State of Maryland. It is one of 226 measures the governor enacted today alongside Senate President Bill Ferguson and House Speaker Adrienne A. Jones.
“Today we are signing another 226 bipartisan bills into law, including legislation to legalize sports betting in the State of Maryland and to repeal the state song—a relic of the Confederacy that is clearly outdated and out-of-touch,” said Governor Hogan. “I want to thank the legislators on both sides of the aisle for working together with us in a bipartisan way this session.”
In addition, Governor Hogan, President Ferguson, and Speaker Jones announced that the Maryland State House will reopen to the public on Friday, May 21.
Legislation enacted today includes:
- HB 940: Legislation to legalize sports betting in the State of Maryland.
- HB 667/SB 8: Legislation to immediately repeal the State Song.
- HB 736/SB 751: Emergency legislation to permit professional counselors licensed in states participating in the interstate compact to practice across state lines.
- SB 439, Jordan McNair Safe and Fair Play Act: Legislation requiring collegiate athletics programs to adopt and implement specified guidelines related to the health and safety of student athletes.
- HB 12/SB 205: Legislation expanding the ability of restaurants, bars, and taverns to sell and deliver alcoholic beverages for off-premises consumption or delivery.
- HB 636/SB 546, Safe School Drinking Water Act: Legislation to address potentially elevated levels of lead in school drinking water.
- SB 515: Legislation prohibiting a student from entering school property if he or she is a registered sex offender.
- SB 186: Legislation expanding eligibility under the job creation tax credit program administered by the Department of Commerce to include small businesses that hire at least one qualified veteran employee.
- HB 425/SB 623: Legislation prohibiting a person from knowingly possessing ransomware with the intent to use it for specified purposes and establishing criminal penalties for violations.
- HB605: Legislation to expand mental and behavioral health training for veterans.
- HB 1268: Legislation establishing the Legal Education Success Collaborative between the University of Baltimore (UB) School of Law, the University of Maryland (UM) School of Law, and Maryland’s historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) to increase diversity in the legal field.
- SB 338/HB 563: Legislation waiving animal adoption fees for veterans.
- SB 257/HB 337: Legislation authorizing job training organizations to claim a sales and use tax credit.
- SB 895: Legislation requiring the president of each University System of Maryland (USM) institution, when setting student fees, to present information on fees for review.
- SB 926: Legislation allowing the Maryland Stadium Authority to serve as project manager for a new multi-use sports and events facility in Hagerstown.
The full list of bills signed on Tuesday is available here.
Video from the bill signing is available below.