TOWSON, MD—Baltimore County Executive Johnny Olszewski on Tuesday announced the COVID-19 Small Business Restaurant Reimbursement Program, a $2.5 million fund to reimburse restaurant businesses and food service establishments for investments or improvements that not only help prevent the spread of COVID-19, but also help extend the outdoor dining season.
“Baltimore County’s restaurant community plays a vital role in our local economy and we will continue doing our part to support their recovery,” Olszewski said. “As the season changes, we’re proud to provide these new funds to our restaurateurs in support of their efforts to keep patrons and employees safe and comfortable during the colder months ahead.”
Through the program, the County will offer funds up to $15,000 to reimburse Baltimore County-based restaurant or food establishments for capital expenditures, fixtures, equipment and cleaning-disinfecting services necessary to operate business safely.
Examples of eligible reimbursement items under the Small Business Restaurant Reimbursement Program include, but are not limited to:
- Capital improvements, standing sneeze guards, acrylic protective shields and transaction windows
- Exterior improvements, patio heaters, outdoor furniture and outdoor tents
- Expenditures or signage that help operate business safely and promote social distancing
- HVAC or filtration systems
Beginning on Monday, October 19, at 9 a.m. reimbursement applications will be posted and funds will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
To qualify for this reimbursement program, restaurants or food establishments must:
- Be a for-profit restaurant or food service establishment of any size located in Baltimore County
- Have been in operation as of January 1, 2020
- Have had to limit or cease operations as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Be registered and in good standing with the State of Maryland via the State Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT)
- Not be in default on any loans from Baltimore County or delinquent on any County taxes
This is the latest effort from Baltimore County to support small businesses and individuals impacted by the severe financial pressures caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
For more information about the new COVID-19 Small Business Restaurant Reimbursement Program, visit the Small Business Restaurant Reimbursement Program page or email COVIDbizrelief@baltimorecountymd.gov.