NOTTINGHAM, MD—Patient First is now providing COVID-19 virus testing at its Nottingham/White Marsh location at 4924 Campbell Boulevard (21236).
Testing is available only at designated Patient First testing centers and is by appointment only.
The test that is offered is the RT-PCR (Reverse Transcriptase – Polymerase Chain Reaction) molecular diagnostic test. The test sample is collected at Patient First and is sent to a reference lab for testing.
COVID-19 testing is also available at the Patient First centers in Aberdeen, Annapolis, Bel Air, Odenton, Owings Mills, and Perry Hall. Testing appointments can be made on-line at https://www.patientfirst.com/covid-19/covid-19-testing.
Coronavirus testing helps determine if you currently have COVID-19. It is for patients who are at least 5 years old and currently experience symptoms of COVID-19 or meet any of the screening criteria, which is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
The screening criteria include meeting one or more of the following conditions:
• Shortness of Breath
• Difficulty Breathing
• OR you have at least two of the following:
• Sore Throat
• Body Aches or Muscle Pain
• Nausea and/or Vomiting
• Loss of Appetite
• Loss of Smell and/or Taste
• You are a healthcare worker or first responder.
• You have had prolonged contact with (e.g. live with or work closely with) a COVID-19 positive person or a person waiting for COVID-19 test results.
• You reside in a nursing home or other congregate living facility.
• You are a cancer patient who requires COVID-19 testing before beginning or resuming treatment.
• You are required by your doctor, hospital, or outpatient surgical center to have COVID-19 testing prior to a planned surgery.
• You are required by your employer to have COVID-19 testing prior to beginning or returning to work.
• You are required by another entity to have COVID-19 testing, such as to attend school or camp, or due to travel/transportation requirements.
Results are typically available in less than three days. Patients will receive the test result via text message or through a phone call from a nurse. The option for how the patient would prefer to receive test results is determined during registration. The test result will also be available on the Patient First Portal.
For most insured patients, there is no out-of-pocket expense for COVID-19 testing. The visit will be submitted to patients’ insurance. Patient First accepts all major insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid. For most self-pay patients, there is no out-of-pocket cost for the exam. There may be a separate bill from the outside lab in some cases. The lab determines what, if anything, it bills the patient.
COVID-19 antibody testing is also available at all Patient First centers on a walk-in basis.
All Patient First Medical Centers remain open on a walk-in basis from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., every day, for patients who have an urgent need for medical or injury care. Appointments are not needed for visits unrelated to COVID-19 virus testing. All Patient First centers have taken steps to provide a safe environment for patients and staff, including requiring all patients and staff to wear masks while inside the center, thoroughly disinfecting surfaces throughout the center at regular intervals, requiring frequent hand washing, and limiting visitors to only essential family members.
Updates about COVID-19 testing, instructions about how to make an appointment, and other information is available at www.patientfirst.com/coronavirus.