Police/Fire

Roof caves in during Essex house fire

UPDATE: Three dogs and two cats reportedly died in the blaze, which was caused by an unattended stove. No one was home at the time of the fire. Original story below… ——— ESSEX, MD—Crews are on the scene of a Wednesday morning house fire in Essex. The fire was reported at around 7:30 a.m. in the 300-block of Wye Road. …


WMVFC mourns passing of firehouse dog, Ember

WHITE MARSH, MD—The White Marsh Volunteer Fire Company shared some sad news on Saturday morning. The station’s firehouse dog, Ember, has passed away. “To Ember, your howl and cold nose will be missed forever through the halls of the firehouse,” WMVFC said on Facebook. “We all hope you’ve found a fire engine to ride up there and a patio to …

America’s VetDogs 5K and Dog Walk returns to The Avenue in April

WHITE MARSH, MD—It’s back! The Avenue at White Marsh invites you to join WBAL news anchor Jason Newton and WBAL TV’s Puppy with a Purpose, Brooks, for a 5K run & dog walk to benefit and celebrate America’s VetDogs! Participants will be able to run or walk with the pack, then they can stick around for food & drink tents.  …

Dog Goods USA LLC expands voluntary recall of Chef Toby Pig Ears Pet Treats due to possible Salmonella risk

NOTTINGHAM, MD – Dog Goods USA LLC is voluntarily expanding its recall to include all 30-packs of “Berkley & Jensen” brand pig ears sold at BJ’s Wholesale Club stores. Dog Goods purchased these pig ears from a single supplier in Brazil from September 2018 through August 2019. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, together with the Centers for Disease Control …

Dog treats recalled due to Salmonella risk

BALTIMORE, MD – Brutus & Barnaby of Clearwater, Florida is recalling all size variations of Pig Ears for Dogs because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with …

Toxic algae bloom fatal to pets spotted in Maryland

NOTTINGHAM, MD – An algae bloom that is harmful to humans and fatal to pets has been found in Maryland. Officials in Montgomery County are asking residents to use caution when recreating on or near Lake Needwood and Lake Frank located within Rock Creek Regional Park. Testing there has indicated high levels of microcystin, a toxic substance produced by some …