Underground gas leak causes fire in Middle River

Gas LeakCrews are on the scene of a Sunday evening gas leak in Middle River.

At just before 5:30 p.m., emergency personnel responded to the area of Middle River Road between Philadelphia Road and Pulaski Highway.

There is reportedly large underground gas leak at the scene with flames showing above ground.

BGE crews are being dispatched.

Motorists should avoid the area.


Police investigating local robbery, burglaries

police-lightsPolice are investigating several robberies and burglaries that were reported this week.

At about 11:45 a.m. on Monday, October 9, three individuals entered the CVS on Compass Road in Middle River (21220) and demanded money. The suspects stole cash and numerous pharmaceuticals. Two suspects and two juvenile suspects were arrested.

At about 10 p.m. on Monday, an individual shattered the front door glass of the Kane Bag & Tarp, located in the 1200 block of 67th Street in Rosedale (21237). It is unknown if entry was made and it appeared that nothing was taken.

Also at about 10 p.m. on Monday, an individual used unknown means to crack the front door glass of Aire-Craft Heating & Cooling, also located in the 1200 block of 67th Street in Rosedale (21237). No entry was made.

Sometime between 7:30 p.m. on October 9 and 7:30 a.m. on October 10, an individual attempted to break into Granite Mr LLC, located in the 7500 block of Pulaski Highway in Rosedale (21237). The suspect cracked the front door but failed to gain entry.

Sometime between 11 p.m. on October 9 and 5 a.m. on October 10, an individual cut two holes in the fence at the BGE site located in the 9700 block of Belair Road (21236). Copper hand coils and covered copper wire were stripped and stolen.

At 11 p.m. on Tuesday, an individual broke the glass door window to gain entry into Landers Appliance, located in the 7000 block of Golden Ring Road in Rosedale (21237). Once inside, the suspect removed cash from the register and fled the scene.

Sometime between 2:30 p.m. on October 10 and 1:30 a.m. on October 11, an individual entered an apartment in the 9100 block of Oswald Way (21236) via an unlocked bedroom window. The suspect stole two handguns before fleeing.

BGE hosts National Association of Women in Construction camp in White Marsh

BGE Girls White MarshBaltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE) on Wednesday hosted 15 school-aged girls at its White Marsh Training Center. The girls are part of the National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC) camp which provides a supportive and nurturing environment for high school girls to explore the construction industry.

The campers met successful female BGE field workers and had the opportunity for hands-on learning. Campers fused pipes to make hula hoops, learned utility pole climbing, and viewed electric and gas safety demonstrations during the day-long camp in White Marsh.

The young women had an exciting opportunity to learn and practice new skills in a gender-neutral environment. The camp aims at developing greater self-confidence and more self-esteem by tackling and completing challenging projects. Campers learned the importance of working safely around electricity and natural gas while wearing construction industry attire – long pants, t-shirts, boots and hardhats.

“BGE is committed to diversity and inclusion and this camp introduces young ladies to women role models who have achieved success in our company,” said Denise Galambos, vice president of human resources for BGE. “We want these girls to leave this camp understanding that many women are contributing to the growth and success of the construction industry and there are future career opportunities available to them at BGE and throughout the construction industry.”

BGE is dedicated to enhancing the success of women in the construction industry and expanding the pool of potential BGE employees.

Red Lion Road shut down due to power lines on fire

Wires on FireUPDATE: The fire has been extinguished and Red Lion Road has been reopened.

Original story below…


A White Marsh road was shut down on Thursday morning due to power lines catching fire.

At about 8 a.m., the White Marsh Volunteer Fire Company reported that Red Lion Road had been closed in the 11000 block.

BGE and Verizon are currently on the scene and making repairs.

There has been no word on what caused the fire.

Motorists should use an alternate route.