TOWSON, MD — Beginning this week, Baltimore County residents are likely to see boxes everywhere – in local stores, libraries, health clubs, and offices. These boxes are collection bins for the annual school supply drive coordinated by The Education Foundation of Baltimore County Public Schools.
All new school supplies are welcome and will be well used. The most needed school supplies are: folders, composition books / notebooks, pencils, crayons, highlighters / markers, glue sticks, scissors, backpacks, binders, pens, Post-it Notes, and primary journals (composition books that include space for drawing). The school supply drive will run through Sunday, Aug. 13.
To date, the following businesses/organizations have agreed to accept public donations of school supplies:
- Anytime Fitness, Perry Hall and Timonium
- 5002 Honeygo Center Dr., 21128
- 55 W Aylesbury Rd., Suite A, 21093
- Baltimore County Public Library, all branches
- Arbutus Branch, 855 Sulphur Spring Rd., 21227
- Catonsville Branch, 1100 Frederick Rd., 21228
- Cockeysville Branch, 9833 Greenside Dr., 21030
- Essex Branch, 1110 Eastern Blvd., 21221
- Hereford Branch, 16940 York Rd., 21111
- Lansdowne Branch, 500 Third Ave., 21227
- Loch Raven Branch, 1046 Taylor Ave., 21286
- North Point Branch, 1716 Merritt Blvd., 21222
- Owings Mills Branch, County Campus Metro Centre at Owings Mills, 10302 Grand Central Ave., 21117
- Parkville-Carney Branch, 9509 Harford Rd., 21234
- Perry Hall Branch, 9685 Honeygo Blvd., 21128
- Pikesville Branch, 1301 Reisterstown Rd., 21208
- Randallstown Branch, 8604 Liberty Rd., 21133
- Reisterstown Branch, 21 Cockeys Mill Rd., 21136
- Rosedale Branch, 6105 Kenwood Ave., 21237
- Sollers Point Branch, 323 Sollers Point Rd., 21222
- Towson Branch, 320 York Rd., 21204
- White Marsh Branch, 8133 Sandpiper Cir., 21236
- Woodlawn Branch, 1811 Woodlawn Dr., 21207
- Barnes and Noble Booksellers, Pikesville
- 1819 Reisterstown Rd., 21208
- Boscov’s, White Marsh Mall
- 8200 Perry Hall Blvd., 21236
- Chesapeake Bank of Maryland
- Chik Fil A, Eastpoint
- The Columbia Bank, Fairgrounds Plaza
- 67 W. Aylesbury Rd., 21093
- First Financial Federal Credit Union, all branches in Baltimore County
- Catonsville Branch, Westpark Shopping Center, 6400 Baltimore National Pike, 21228
- Fullerton Branch, Putty Hill Plaza, 7966 Belair Rd., 21236
- Golden Ring Branch, 8665 Pulaski Highway, 21237
- Lutherville Branch, Heaver Plaza, 1301 York Rd., 21093
- Owings Mills Branch, St. Thomas Shopping Center, 9906 Reisterstown Rd., 21117
- Lutherville Administrative Center, 1215 York Rd., 21093
- Hiss United Methodist Church
- Office Depot, all locations in Baltimore County
- 3595 Washington Blvd,, Washington Blvd. & Lansdowne Rd., 21227
- 1630 Reisterstown Rd., Reisterstown & Naylors, 21208
- 11716 Reisterstown Rd., Cherry Vale Plaza, 21136
- 8640 Pulaski Hwy #103, Rte 40 & 695 (Old Ward’s Bldg), 21237
- 1920 York Rd., York Rd. & Fox Tail Rd., 21093
- SASS Salon
- White Marsh Volunteer Fire Company
Boscov’s of White Marsh Mall, a longtime partner of BCPS, began its school supply drive early – at the beginning of July – and will continue it through Saturday, Aug. 26. In addition to collecting school supplies, the store is accepting donations of new socks and underwear for students who are experiencing homelessness.
In addition, three festive community drop-off events will be held to accept public donations of school supplies. These will be held:
- Tuesday, Aug. 8, from 2 – 6 p.m.
Pikesville Farmers Market, Pomona Square Shopping Center, 1700 Reisterstown Rd., 21208
Hosted by the Pikesville Chamber of Commerce
- Saturday, Aug. 12, from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
First Financial Federal branch, 1301 York Rd., Lutherville, 21093
Hosted by First Financial Federal Credit Union
- A date will soon be announced for a community drop-off event at the Towson Farmer’s Market.
Hosted by the Towson Chamber of Commerce
The first and largest contributor to the drive is Open Door Before and After School Care, which, as the Cornerstone sponsor, has donated $10,000 worth of supplies for each of the past two years.
The following businesses/organizations will be collecting school supplies from their employees and customers/members or have already donated supplies:
- Baltimore County Democratic Central Committee
- Bohler Engineering
- Chesapeake Gateway Chamber of Commerce
- CitiFinancial Servicing
- Financial Fitness
- HMS Insurance Associates, Inc.
- KCI Technologies Inc.
- KPMG LLP
- Lakeshore Learning, Towson
- MedStar Health
- Mitre Corporation
- Oak Contracting
- Padonia Park Club
- Patient First
- Phillips Way, Inc.
- Pikesville Chamber of Commerce
- The Pinder Plotkin Legal Team
- Scholnick Law
- Southern Management Corporation
- Towson University
There is still time to get involved. Interested businesses can sign up by contacting Diana Spencer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Information and posters will be sent to them.
Businesses can deliver donated supplies to the BCPS warehouse from Aug. 14 – 18, or BCPS will pick up the donated supplies on those same days. Once collected, the supplies will be sorted and organized, and then teachers can come to a one-day “store” (generously loaned to BCPS by the management of White Marsh Mall) to select the items most needed by their students.
The school supply drive is part of the BCPS annual Back to School Involves You, Too! campaign in association with The Education Foundation of BCPS. Designed to garner community support for BCPS students and schools, the campaign this year includes National Summer Learning Day, Parent University workshops, the back-to-school festival, volunteer recruitment, BCPS Day at Camden Yards, and more.
The Education Foundation of BCPS, Inc., is a nonprofit organization established to attract and direct public financial contributions to programs and activities of the school system in support of quality education for all children.