Crime, Police/Fire

Child, father located following Amber Alert, search ends in Carroll County

WESTMINSTER, MD—Maryland State Police have located a missing 12-year-old boy and his father after an extensive coordinated search ended in Carroll County on Tuesday morning.

Christopher Geiger, 35, of Hampstead, was taken into police custody without incident and the 12-year-old child was recovered unharmed at just before 10:45 a.m. on Tuesday.  Charges are pending the outcome of the investigation and consultation with the Carroll County State’s Attorney. Both were evaluated on scene by emergency medical services personnel and later transported by ambulance to the Carroll Hospital Center for precautionary reasons.

Christopher Geiger and his 12-year-old son, Maxx, were reported missing at 1:30 p.m. on Monday. The report was called in to the Hampstead Police Department by the child’s mother after he did not report to school. Police were advised that Geiger was reportedly operating a black 2021 Jeep Wrangler and was last seen leaving the child’s school on Friday, April 8 with the child. Due to information received during the investigation and grave concerns for the child’s safety, an Amber Alert was issued shortly after 4:00 p.m. on Monday.

At 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Maryland State Police located the black Jeep Wrangler unoccupied and parked in a farm field in the 100-block of Kate Wagner Road in Westminster. An immediate perimeter was established to safely contain the scene near where the abandoned vehicle was found. A subsequent search of the wooded area was coordinated by Maryland State Police and allied law enforcement agencies on the scene.

Police continued the extensive search throughout the night on foot and utilizing ATVs. The Maryland State Police Aviation Command also responded to conduct an aerial search.

At 8:45 a.m. on Tuesday morning, the search ended after police located the father and son with a dog inside a shed about one-half mile from the abandoned vehicle. Moments later, negotiators from the Maryland State Police Crisis Negotiation Team responded to make contact with the father. At just before 10:45 a.m., the father was taken into police custody and the child was safely recovered. No injuries to civilians or law enforcement personnel were reported.

Facebook Comments
Please follow and like us: