TOWSON, MD—At its November 10 meeting, the Board of Education of Baltimore County approved the 2021-2022 school calendar for Baltimore County Public Schools.
This calendar has BCPS students beginning the school year, before Labor Day, on Monday, Aug. 30, 2021, and ending between Thursday, June 9, and Thursday, June 16, 2022, depending on the number of inclement weather/emergency closure days used.
Schools will be closed for all students on the following days:
- Monday, Sept. 6 – Labor Day
- Tuesday, Sept. 7 – Professional Development Day/Rosh Hashanah
- Thursday, Sept. 16 – Professional Development Day/Yom Kippur
- Friday, Oct. 15 – Professional Development Day/Maryland State Education Association Convention
- Thursday, Nov. 25 & Friday, Nov. 26 – Thanksgiving Holiday
- Friday, Dec. 24 – Friday, Dec. 31 – Christmas Holiday/Winter Break
- Monday, Jan. 17 – Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Friday, Jan. 21 – All schools closing three hours early for end of second marking period
- Monday, Feb. 21 – Presidents’ Day/Washington’s Birthday
- Monday, Apr. 11 – Friday, Apr. 15 — Spring Break
- Monday, Apr. 18 — State Mandated Holiday
- Tuesday, May 3 – Systemwide Professional Development Day and Pre-K and Kindergarten Conference Day/Eid-Al-Fitr
- Monday, May 30 – Memorial Day Observed
There are other days on which schools will be closed for specific grade levels.
This calendar was designed to ensure that BCPS provides its students with a minimum of 180 days of instruction including a minimum of 1,080 hours for elementary and middle school students, and 1,170 hours for high school students.
If no emergency closure days occur, the school year will end for students on Thursday June 9, 2022, and the Assessment Days, the last day of classes for Preschool-3 and Pre-K, and the last day for teachers will be re-designated accordingly. Should emergency closures occur, up to five make-up days will be added to the end of the school year, making the latest possible date for the last day of school Thursday, June 16, 2022.
If more than five emergency closures occur and/or there are a significant number of delayed openings and/or early dismissals used, the school calendar also may be adjusted appropriately to meet the minimum required student days and the required number of student hours.