BALTIMORE, MD—As America’s gun control debate rages on, Dick’s Sporting Goods recently revealed that the chain had destroyed $5 million worth of weapons.
After learning that Dick’s had sold a shotgun to the Parkland shooter, CEO Edward Stack last year announced that the company would no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age. Dick’s also announced that the chain would destroy its inventory of weapons rather than allow them to be sold by another retailer.
Since that time, approximately $5 million of the chain’s gun inventory has been turned into scrap metal, Stack told CBS News on Sunday.
“I don’t understand how somebody, with everything that’s gone on, could actually sit there and say, ‘I don’t think we need to do a background check on people who buy guns.’ It’s just, it’s ridiculous,” Stack said.
“I said, ‘You know what? If we really think these things should be off the street, we need to destroy them,'” he added.
Stack is a hunter and gun owner who believes strongly in the Second Amendment, according to CNN, but the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida on February 14, 2018, changed that. Seventeen people were killed in the attack.
“We found out that we sold this kid a shotgun,” Stack said. “That’s when I said, ‘We’re done.'”
Stack is scheduled to appear on CNBC’s “Squawk Alley” on Tuesday.