NOTTINGHAM, MD – Temperatures are expected to reach 90 degrees and higher over the next several days and Baltimore County has several “cooling centers” with access to water and bathrooms that are available to offer relief from the heat.
Nineteen convenient branches of the Baltimore County Public Library are open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m.
Residents can cool off while reading a book or enjoying scheduled events at a branch in their community. Visit the Baltimore County Public Library website to get more information on the library branch nearest you or call 410-887-6100.
Baltimore County Senior Centers are also open to the public, regardless of age. Most locations are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Residents who visit these locations to get relief from the heat can watch TV, read a book or sit and relax. Visit the Department of Aging website for information on their 20 Senior Centers or call their Senior Center Information and Assistance line at 410-887-2594.
Other places you can go to cool off in Baltimore County include:
- Community Centers
- Movie Theaters
“Residents need to know that the county has plenty of resources available where they can go to get cool,” said Dr. Gregory Wm. Branch, Director of Health and Human Services. “From libraries and senior centers to churches, movie theaters and malls, there is a place in every community where you can get relief from the heat, and I urge you to use them if you do not have air conditioning.”
Keep you and your family healthy and safe in the summer heat by adhering to the following hot weather tips:
- NEVER leave a child or pet in an unattended car!
- Check on elderly or chronically ill family members, friends and neighbors.
- Stay hydrated with water or fruit juices. Also, provide your pet with plenty of water and proper shelter.
- Limit outdoor activity when the temperatures and humidity are extremely high.
- Use sunscreen and reapply often when spending time outdoors.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing, a hat and sunglasses when outdoors.
- Visit a cooling Center in Baltimore County or consider visiting family, friends or an air-conditioned public building.
Here is a list of Baltimore County Public Library branches in the Nottingham area:
1110 Eastern Boulevard
Essex, MD 21221
9509 Harford Road
Parkville, MD 21234
9685 Honeygo Boulevard
Perry Hall, MD 21128
6105 Kenwood Avenue
Rosedale, MD 21237
8133 Sandpiper Circle
Nottingham, MD 21236
Here is a list of senior centers in the Nottingham area:
4314 Fullerton Avenue
Nottingham, Maryland 21236
8601 Harford Road
Parkville, Maryland 21234
9210 Seven Courts Drive
Nottingham, Maryland 21236