A new Blue Star Memorial marker was dedicated at historic Jerusalem Mill in Kingsville on Sunday.
The Blue Star Memorial Program began with the planting of 8,000 Dogwood trees by the New Jersey Council of Garden Clubs in 1944 as a living memorial to veterans of World War II. In 1945, the National Council of State Garden Clubs adopted the program and began a Blue Star Highway system, which covers thousands of miles across the Continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. A large metal Blue Star Memorial Highway Marker was placed at appropriate locations along the way.
The program was expanded to include all men and women who had served, were serving or would serve in the armed services of the United States.
The new marker at Jerusalem Mills, arranged by the Joppatowne Garden Club, sits perched on top of a stone by the entrance to the Gunpowder Falls State Park headquarters off of Jerusalem Road. It is the first such marker in Harford County, according to the Baltimore Sun.
The Blue Star became an icon in World War II and was seen on flags and banners in homes for sons and daughters away at war, as well as in churches and businesses.
Another Blue Star Memorial marker, arranged by the Glen Arm Garden Club, will be dedicated along Cromwell Bridge Road in Towson on April 23rd.